O-Town Hop Heads
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keg Purging
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 pm 

I have a thread on my facebook page (facebook/utahhb) regarding purging air from corney kegs before filling them and I wanted to get some more input. I read about a procedure where the keg is filled with sanitizing solution and then pushed out with CO2. This guarantees 0% oxygen left in the keg prior to filling. It also touts to use less CO2 than just doing a purge with CO2.
After sanitizing the keg, I just purge with CO2 a couple of times hoping there is a good blanket of CO2 in the keg when I fill. I haven't had any oxygenation issues, but have had rapid depletion of hop aroma and beer instability. I'm not saying it's from my purging and filling technique, but I don't want to leave any stone unturned.
Your guys' input is appreciated.

Cheers and BrewOn!

Danny
utahhomebrewing.org

Post subject: Re: Keg Purging
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Do you fill the keg with 5 gallons of sanitizer?

I am new to kegging but from what I understand, CO2 is heavier than air, so if you put some CO2 in your keg it will sink to the bottom and push air out the opening, then rack to the very bottom and as the beer rises it pushes that blanket of co2 and the air above it out.

Any other thoughts? Like I said kegging is new to me.

And welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 am 

Thank you for the 'Welcome', Brad!

Yes, the process I read about calls for filling the keg with sanitizing solution and then applying CO2 through the inlet valve thereby pushing it out through the outlet valve. You would need to attach a regular beer outlet connector with a hose on it and let it drain into the sink or another keg if you are doing more than one keg (as I do). I don't use this process, yet. Not sure if I will. What intrigues me about this process is the statement that it uses less CO2 and it eliminates all O2 before filling. Apparently, some homebrewers have used this process with great success. I'm just checking to see if anyone is using it or has used in the past and what the results were.

I use the process you described with much success. Your statement is correct in that CO2 is heavier than O2 and will create a blanket in the bottom of the keg, however, I understand that there is still some oxygen remaining in that blanket i.e., it is not a pure CO2 blanket. I would like to do more research on this topic if I get a chance.

What you are doing is a perfectly good way of filling your kegs. Don't change it if you don't have problems. I'm just looking for any little thing I can to improve the stability of my beer over time. Kind of been a pet project of mine the past year.

Cheers and Brew On!
Danny
Utah Home Brewing

facebook.com/utahhb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm interesting concept. Let us know what you come up with!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk